El Zocalo Complex Historic Renovation
Owner: Sandoval County, New Mexico
Architect: James Patrick Lynch
Project: Historic Renovation
Contract Amount: $2,962,249
Completion Date: November 2007
This project covered historical restoration and renovation of two adobe buildings. The Convent, built in 1876, housed the Catholic Sisters and the cafeteria. The Salazar Building, built in 1922, served as the community school. Both buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the New Mexico State Register of Cultural Properties.
The project comprised stabilizing the existing structures, removing and replacing deteriorating structural elements, upgrading to meet the current Americans with Disabilities Act, providing a new roof membrane and stucco, and upgrading all mechanical and electrical systems. The renovations followed strict guidelines and standards to maintain their status on the historical registers.
Major issues with the Convent included large voids in the exterior adobe walls, decaying wood viga beams and wood decking, and interior doorways that had settled, as well a heating and cooling system and an updated electrical system. Additionally, the floor had settled a great deal in several areas, necessitating storing original brick flooring and wood doorways while remedial work was performed.
Because of the historical nature of the project, a variable refrigerant flow zoning system by Mitsubishi Electric was concealed in the walls so as not to detract from the building’s historical look. The new electrical systems were also concealed in the walls and ceilings.
The Salazar Building, one of the oldest two-story adobe buildings in the New Mexico, also endured structural damage with deterioration of a section of the adobe wall separating the second floor and roof, and deterioration and damage to the wood beams and interior services. The renovation included installing a new heating and cooling system, updating the electrical systems and an addition to house the elevator and restrooms.
The first challenge was to secure the building structurally to eliminate the chance of collapse, after which, the exterior walls were rebuilt and the roof beams replaced. The roof membrane could not be replaced until the heating and cooling system was designed and the roof trusses strengthened. The second challenge was installation of the heating and cooling ductwork and electrical systems. Damaged sections of floor and ceilings were patched with salvaged material and the walls were re-plastered, and all the windows were refinished. The masonry addition housed the restrooms and elevator.
Mick Rich Contractors has been performing historic renovation for more than 20 years, and the El Zocalo Complex Renovation and Restoration was the most challenging to date. The most challenging issue was the expectation of a renovated and restored historic building that met the budget constraints of Sandoval County. We also needed to meet the historical requirements of the State of New Mexico Historical Preservation Division while ensuring modern-day systems were added to the building. The mechanical systems were re-engineered to meet the client’s expectations to find the optimum system that would be cost effective and have minimal aesthetic impact, structurally and esthetically.
“Mick Rich did a great job on the renovation of these two historical buildings.”Phillip Rios
“Mick Rich conducted a miracle…they completely restored two fragile adobe buildings to their original condition.”Donna Wylie
“Your firm made all the difference in the great outcome of this project… this historic resource was saved by your timely involvement.”Pilar M. Cannizzaro
The Gradely Apartments,
Owner: Catalina Vista 1, LLC
Contract Amount: $1,500,000
Contract Date: August 2018
Completion Date: January 2019
This enovation of 57 apartment units involved a complete demolition of apartment interiors; replacement of flooring, cabinets, appliances, plumbing and electrical fixtures; and new paint and countertops.
We also added a new deck to the community swimming pool, made other pool improvements, and redid the landscaping for the entire apartment complex.
La Iglesia de Santa Cruz
Owner: Archdiocese of Santa Fe
Architect: Red Mountain Engineers
Contract Amount: $158,857
Completion Date: October 12, 2003
La Iglesia de Santa Cruz de la Canada Church dates back to 1733. The church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and is the subject of many artists’ paintings and photographs. Repairs were needed on the building, while keeping the appearance intact because the exterior appearance of the church could not be altered. After completion of the project, new soffits, roof panels and minor plastering were not apparent.
The existing sanctuary was in use during the construction period; during special services, construction was stopped in the areas adjacent to the sanctuary. All areas of construction were secured and cleaned prior to work stopping on Friday afternoon.
More than 50 years ago, a pitched roof structure was added to the church for which the roof trusses were structurally failing. Mick Rich Contractors’ responsibility was to reinforce the existing pitched roof structure and install a new metal roof, in addition to correcting drainage problems around the church. The repairs were accomplished by re-grading the site, installing a storm drain system, and re-paving the site.
San Felipe de Neri
Owner: Archdiocese of Santa Fe
Architect: Ortega and Associates
Project: Historical Renovation
Contract Amount: $1,102,916
Completion Date: June 20, 2007
Mick Rich Contractors operated in 11 phases on this project to deliver tiered construction services for the San Felipe de Neri Catholic Church in Albuquerque’s historic Old Town. Mick Rich coordinated with the Parish, Antonio F. Ortega Architects, and the Old Town Merchants Association during the design and construction phases to provide a quality project and safe environment.
This historic adobe building required that the construction team working on this project have the ability to refurbish, restore and construct new sections while retaining the flavor and look of the original. Mick Rich was proud to do its part to preserve the integrity and beauty of this church building, originally constructed in 1793 and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.